August 17, 2007

Poetry Friday: Unexpected Sweetness

This is a reminder to myself... and maybe to you: not all things can be planned.

Unharvested

A scent of ripeness from over a wall.
And come to leave the routine road
And look for what had made me stall,
There sure enough was an apple tree

That had eased itself of its summer load,
And of all but its trivial foliage free,
Now breathed as light as a lady's fan.
For there had been an apple fall
As complete as the apple had given man.
The ground was one circle of solid red.

May something go always unharvested!
May much stay out of our stated plan,
Apples or something forgotten and left,
So smelling their sweetness would be no theft.

"Unharvested" by Robert Frost from The Poetry of Robert Frost © Holt, Rinehart and Winston. Reprinted with permission.

Poetry Friday round-up is over at Writing & Ruminating. Bon Weekend.

6 comments:

david elzey said...

I'm always meaning to dig out my Frost and reintroduce myself to him. Thanks for this, I now have another book for the TBR pile. But it's on top.

Sara said...

Nowadays, I still try to plan, but not to WORRY about my plan. :) But I just love to find surprises along the way. Great choice!

tanita✿davis said...

All of what we learned in school from Frost was his Most Famous Works kinds of things, and I delight in finding little bits of him I'd never found before.

Sarah Stevenson said...

I've always loved Robert Frost ever since delving into his non-Most-Famous-Works. Thanks for this one!

jama said...

Thanks for this gem. Beautiful photo, too!

Anonymous said...

I missed this yesterday, but I'm so happy to see it today. I loves me some Frost. And I'm going to go eat an apple right now.