August 03, 2007

Poetry Friday: Late, But Here!

We're here!

SCBWI is the usual surreal collage of sights and sounds and impressions -- as usual, the weekend is going too fast, and I am a little worried by the number of photographers snapping my non-photogenic self, but our presentation was mostly coherent, the slide projector didn't break, and nobody died. Pretty good for a first year. There was high drama putting almost a thousand people in a low-ceilinged lobby against finding each other -- it more of a challenge than it should have been (someday I must tell you about blogger Big A, little a's ...allegedly black outfit and turquoise sandals which never materialized...), but all's well that ends, right? As for our presentation -- We were REALLY EXCITED when Tamora Pierce dropped by to sit in on our session -- it was all I could do not to point and squeal! But she asked questions about the 48 Hour Book Challenge and we hope to see her 'round the kidlitosphere soon.
Don't miss the Guardian's short piece on Phillip Pullman, and his recent in-depth interview in the UK Literary Review. Pullman talks about the deeper questions of religion in Lyra's story -- his follow up to His Dark Materials will be ...unusual, to say the least.
And now, my short but well-loved poem for Poetry Friday. I won't even bother linking it to everyone else's, since it's so late, but it is a poem best read in a laconic and mildly amused voice, the way it was first read to me.

This Is Just To Say
I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast.

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold.

-- William Carlos Williams

9 comments:

diane said...

I love the contrast between William Carlos Williams and T.S. Eliot in describing the eating of fruit!

While J. Alfred Prufrock worries "Do I dare to eat a peach?" Williams' "To A Poor Old Woman" shows us an individual still able to savor the sweetness of plums, and life. Not so "poor" after all!

Sarah Stevenson said...

Great comparisons, diane! I do love that poem, and I'm always amazed that William Carlos Williams was a practicing physician as well...multitalented!

Little Willow said...

I am SO glad that yesterday went so well. Thank you, thank you! :)

I have never eaten a plum by itself, chilled or otherwise.

MotherReader said...

I just gasped out loud. Tamora Pierce asked questions about the 48 Hour Book Challenge! OMG, that's my baby! Of course, you were a winner so I'm happy to share the glory that is the 48HBC.

Glad that the conference was so much fun.

tanita✿davis said...

I didn't TELL THEM I WON, MotherReader. THAT was what made me have to say it: She asked about it ALL BY HERSELF!! No prompting!!! How cool is that????

We must invite her to join us in something. She is quite cool, and quirky and funny.

Anonymous said...

You have never eaten a plum by itself? We must drag you to the country and away from the city! You must try all manner of things, fresh from the trees!

Saints and Spinners said...

Whenever I read the WCW poem about plums, I have to laugh, because the poem reminds me so much of my mother. She only apologizes profusely when she's innocent... when she's guilty as all getout, she revels in it. She reminds me of someone I know.:)

Saints and Spinners said...

P.S. Now I wonder if my mom would consider that comment "defaming" and insist you delete it...

tanita✿davis said...

Heh...heh.
Fortunately for us, Alkelda, the 'defaming' is what I think to be defamation! I love that story -- and I'm sure your Lilliput gets that from Gramma. (Or did you mean you??)

My very favorite poetry professor in college recited this to us one very hot day... and it has stuck with me ever since - cool plums, the flavor of longing - and of having. Yum.