April 19, 2007

More NPR Notes

By now you probably know how much I adore the NPR program News and Notes. Yesterday I was given yet another reason to enjoy the show--an interesting interview and lovely reading (apropos of National Poetry Month!) by Ruth Forman from her new illustrated children's book, Young Cornrows Callin out the Moon. Forman is an instructor at our own local Vona Voices program, an alum of UC Berkeley (go Bears!), and a former student of June Jordan. To listen, click here.


I keep hearing on NPR sponsorship breaks about a book worth lusting after--Seattle librarian, Book Lust author, and action figure model Nancy Pearl has a new book about recommended reading for kids and teens called Book Crush. Says the NPR Shop website: Divided into three sections -- Easy Books, Middle-Grade Readers, and Young Adult -- Book Crush makes wonderful reading connections by theme, setting, voice, and ideas." I hope to find a copy--where else?--in my local library. I'll be very interested to see her recommendations...

2 comments:

tanita✿davis said...

Heh. Heard about Book Crush too -- that's just one on my list...

Little Willow said...

Book Crush sounds like what I do every day. I never considered writing a book of my book recs, but now...ooh...