April 16, 2007

Monday Musings

Dream Deferred

What happens to a dream deferred?
Does it dry up
Like a raisin in the sun?
Or fester like a sore--
And then run?
Does it stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over--
like a syrupy sweet?
Maybe it just sags
like a heavy load.
Or does it explode?

- Langston Hughes

Every revolution, Columbine High School graduate Alex Marsh once said, "begins with a single voice." Ron Koertege captures the angry voices of fifteen narrators at Branston High School who alike have suffered during high school, and whose need for revenge is a snowball rolling faster and faster.

Boyd

We make plans, we download from that supersecret website, we draw diagrams, or go on a weapons recon, and Mike just gets calmer.

Not me. I keep both fists in my pockets and nod. Otherwise my voice, my hands, everything shakes.

Then I look at the list: everybody who ever blew me off, flipped me off, or pissed me off.

So I shake a little. It'll be worth it.


Mr. Koertge's poetry - always truthful, pulling no punches - roars in my head today...

No comments: