April 12, 2007

Just Popping By ...

Greetings this blustery day!

I'm pausing for five minutes to look out and appreciate the world... okay, I could actually a.) shower, b.) put on street clothes, or c.) go outside, but reading blogs is my pajamas is my "outing" this hour...

I can't figure out a joke to tell with the story of Geri Halliwell, former Spice Girl turned Children's Author, so we'll all just have to smile at the thought. Actually, my smile is... bewildered. She's been contracted to produce a series, one book a month from May 2008, and is meant to be accompanied by a "promotional song." And the storyline? Yes. Nine-year-old Ugenia Lavender, is the "incredible kid who has heaps of attitude and brainwaves like bolts of lightning", and Halliwell will give her "contemporary adventures."

Um. Okay. I'll save the open mockery for MotherReader (also don't miss her lovely and thoughtful comments on the late Mr. Vonnegut). I'd like to see Alkelda's editorial letter on that one.

Via A Chair, A Fireplace & A Tea Cozy, I found a call for bloggers who review "classic" children's books. Gina from AmoxCalli feels she's neglecting some of the older books she wants to recommend to a host of young readers. I have also felt that I missed being born earlier so I could read more Joan Aiken without having to hunt for old out of print copies, and I still adore such goodies as I Capture the Castle, Jean Webster's Daddy Long Legs, or Stella Gibbons' hysterical Cold Comfort Farm... Sometimes I think all of the good books and stories have already been told - but I'm proved wrong pretty much on a daily basis, happily. (Yes! So many more multicultural tales to tell. So many excellent vampire yarns. So many science fiction tomes. So many books, so little time...!) Anyway, do jet on over to AmoxCalli's and at least read the reviews. There are some fabulous books out there yet to be discovered.

Well, it's back to work for me. Ciao, ciao...

5 comments:

MotherReader said...

"Brainwaves like bolts of lightning?" A former Spice Girl? Gosh, I don't know, the mockery almost seems too easy.

(thanks for the other nice words about my post.)

Sarah Stevenson said...

The mockery becomes even easier when you add in the fact that Geri Halliwell posed for Playboy...

And have you seen the Wikipedia entry on Cold Comfort Farm? Whew!!

tanita✿davis said...

Mr. Vonnegut was one of those people whose books I always intended to read more of, more than just what was assigned in school. Like you, I've given up (I think) the idea of "I'd want to have lunch with so-and-so." Now, I just want to sit and listen... thanks goodness that people can leave their words behind them.

Saints and Spinners said...

Ack! Some things just mock themselves. My eyeballs feel dirty just from reading the quotes.

I am reminded of the time I read the bio blurb of Britney Spears for A Mother's Gift. It began something to the effect of, "In addition to being an author...." I just about spat up a hairball in the bookstore.

tanita✿davis said...

I'm still heebied out that there IS a book by B. Spears. Shudders commencing... now.