August 12, 2008

Happy Birthday, Coleen Salley

From her website:
At the youthful age of 72, Mrs. Salley published her first children's book "Who's That Tripping Over My Bridge?" illustrated by Amy Dixon (Pelican Publishing). Shortly thereafter we were introduced to the hilarious character in the award winning book "Epossumondas", illustrated by Janet Stevens (Harcourt Inc.). Epossumondas tales continue to delight everyone in "Why Epossumondas Has No Hair On His Tail" and "Epossumondas Saves The Day."


via Laurie Halse Anderson's blog:
Author and children's literature expert Coleen Salley has recently had a down-turn in her health and has entered a retirement home. Coleen wrote the Epossomundas books, helped found the Coleen Salley/Bill Morris Literacy Foundation and spread the good news about children's literature across the world.

She recently had a birthday and would be very cheered by any and all cards. You can send them to her at St. James Retirement, Attn: Coleen Salley, HCE 503, 333 Lee Dr., Baton Rouge, LA 70808. Thank you, Kimberly Willis Holt, for the news.


Seventy-two! And this was in the second half of a full and vibrant life, being a college professor and telling stories. This lady deserves a card, dontcha think? What a life to celebrate.


Don't miss the kaffeeklatch over at Seven Impossible Things and Terri Windling's gorgeous collage illustration for Jane Yolen's Beauty and the Beast. (Via Our Jane's Journal)

I've been struggling writing and revising and wrestling, and have now taken to pacing and reading. I sure hope this story's worth all this trouble! I am relieved that other people have had to wrestle this summer as well -- perhaps someday this pain will be useful to me. Hah.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love Coleen Salley's work. I have Epossumondas Saves the Day sitting right here on my desk. I'll definitely send a card!vgaz

Jules at 7-Imp said...

Thanks for the link. I love those Epossumondas books, too.

Jules, 7-Imp

Saints and Spinners said...

Oh my! I can't imagine such a vibrant woman having to slow down a little, but I know it will happen to us all. I wish I could send her one of the groovy Jacquie Lawson e-cards.