February 21, 2007

Preppy is the New Goth: Yikes!

Oh My Goth is a fast-paced, funny novel that I picked up simply because of the title. It was a quick, amusing read that turned out to be thought-provoking and surprising.

Persecuted high school student Jade Leigh is tired of people looking at her and simply judging her by her clothing/makeup/dyed hair/nose rings. It kind of sucks to be her, but she's okay with that -- I mean, in so far as she's okay with anything. She has her individuality, and she has friends, and that makes everything better. Only her teacher and the principal have got it OUT for her. They get her dad to agree to send her on this "field trip," which involves needles and gurneys. And then - whoa! She wakes up the next morning and it's all changed. The world, I mean.

Everyone's a goth. Now Jade's not so much an individual as much as she is suddenly the Queen of the Night.

Something is just not right! Is she really going to have to cooperate with the formerly perky-preppy cheerleader Mercedes to get out of this reality? The cute new guy, Clarik, seems like he might be her ticket into a new reality altogether...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read this title last year but just lent it to a co-worker last week! Are you reading over her shoulder? :)

Anonymous said...

Hee! Quite unlikely, as this was one of those 'grab-bag' library choices -- or maybe I'm the only one who does this? -- where you carefully choose books based on a number of whatevers, and then you random pick the last five to make up your 30-per-visit limit. Good fun, I've read some things I might never have otherwise chosen...

Anonymous said...

So what's up with the MTV books being so good?

I just wouldn't have expected it. But this is like, 3 that I know of.