January 15, 2008

The TBR Pile 2008


Over at Chasing Ray, Colleen has asked what's on everyone's reading lists for 2008. Though I don't have quite the fancy list that some have, I did want to make note of a few titles--old and new--that I'm hoping to get to read this year. (And I made a fancy graphic--see that? Whee!) A lot of these are Cybils titles that I didn't manage to get to during 2007; some are books that have been lent to me and are still on my to-read shelf; and others are new releases that I can't wait to get my hands on.

Showing Some Cybils Love: There were so many great books released for children and young adults last year that it might take me most of 2008 to get caught up. At least I have a head start on the sci-fi and fantasy titles! Unfortunately, organizing the Graphic Novels category didn't necessarily mean I've gotten a chance to read all the nominees for GN, though. Some of the Graphic Novels I'm looking forward to reading are Laika by Nick Abadzis--Colleen has posted some great stuff about the title and the author, and the publisher, First Second, has an excellent catalog. I'm also looking forward to reading Flight Volume 4 and The Arrival by Shaun Tan.

I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that I can't wait to read the YA finalists in particular--after all, that's our area here at FW, right? After hearing about the book and talking with the lovely author at the fall SCBWI conference, I'm especially looking forward to Tips on Having a Gay (ex)Boyfriend by Carrie Jones. I also look forward to Barry Lyga's newest, Boy Toy, and Jaclyn Moriarty's latest, The Spell Book of Listen Taylor, despite the mixed reviews it's gotten.

On the Loans Shelf: I have a handful of books that people have lent me or given me that I really need to get to this year. Ages ago, back in the late summer, Little Willow gave me copies of a couple of Minx graphic novels, Good As Lily and Clubbing, which are sitting on my bookshelf with a title that TadMack lent me, Epoch by Timothy Carter.

I also borrowed Chinua Achebe's No Longer at Ease from my father-in-law, who majored in African History/Studies as an undergraduate--last year I finally got around to reading Things Fall Apart and now I'm interested in the sequel. Speaking of in-laws, my mother-in-law gave me a copy of Margaret Atwood's Penelopiad, which I was putting off reading because it's based on the myth of Penelope and Odysseus and I worried that I wouldn't get enough out of it unless I'd read The Odyssey in its entirety. I've been told that is not the case, so I plan to read it this year. From my mother, I borrowed Seamus Heaney's translation of Beowulf.

...And Now for Something Completely Different: I bought my husband a copy of Musicophilia by Oliver Sacks, a book of intriguing case studies specifically about music and the brain, by the author of The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat. It was one of those "I'm buying this for you provided I get to borrow it" presents. I also want to read Nick Hornby's YA novel, Slam--I've really enjoyed his work for adults, especially High Fidelity and A Long Way Down. And lastly, for ages I've been planning to re-read one of my favorite literary books ever, The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje. The way he uses language just astounds me.

I'm sure there will be more. In fact, I KNOW there are more--these are just some highlights. After all, I haven't even gotten to books that haven't been published yet. And I know that after reading everyone else's fabulous lists, mine will only get longer...hope you find a few here to add to your list.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh how you will love Laika - it's just so well researched and written and so amazing. Most certainly one of my favorite reads last year.

I just finished Ondaatje's autobiography - he is also one of my favorite (although not easy) writers. Have you read Anil's Ghost? I thought that was most excellent as well.

Sarah Stevenson said...

Thanks, Colleen! Yes, I enjoyed Anil's Ghost--it was very different, though, from The English Patient. I've only read part of his autobiography (for a class) but that was fascinating, too.

Jules at 7-Imp said...

Ooh, Musicophilia sounds so good. And I love Ondaatje's writing, too. Beautiful stuff.

Good list! Thanks for sharing. I've got lots of '07 titles on my (mental) list, too.

Jules, 7-Imp

tanita✿davis said...

I've been wanting to read Laika and BoyToy and Tips... and OH, the list goes on and on.

Your F-I-L majored in African history? That's so very cool - and such a vast subject! I have read some of Chinua Achebe's work - just little bits, nothing major -- but already I know he's brilliant. Have fun with that. My goal this year is to read more translated and multicultural works, and more graphic novels. And more SF/F... and ...well, you get the picture.

Speaking of which, we should arrange a book exchange fairly shortly!

Little Willow said...

Enjoy the GNs. :)