January 10, 2008

"Let's Think Of Something To Do..."

"...While We're Waiting."

Remember that song from Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood? Apparently the people during the writer's strike have thought of something to do: write children's books. (Via Mitali's Fire Escape.) The article is titled, "Striking Writer's Turn to Child's Play." Let me tell you something, Washington Post: the picture book writing: SO not child's play.

I expect a few goodies in the mix since the people who write The Simpsons and other long-running TV favorites are writing. Will this be a shot in the arm for children's books, or a really annoying (semi-BACA-y) idea? Time will tell.

6 comments:

Sara said...

Yikes. I haven't read the Post like I usually do at breakfast, so I missed that. Thanks for the warning, so I won't choke when I read the news at lunch.

Saints and Spinners said...

"I'm finding that in good children's books, the text isn't just describing the picture but the two are working together to advance the storytelling," Sacks said.

Add this to my pile of, "Wow! Really?" quotes.

I'm feeling snarky.

tanita✿davis said...

I had to fight back a great big laugh (and the urge to post something really nasty) over that quote! Feeling the snark, I am.

Jules at 7-Imp said...

There is already a Simpsons writer, Mike Weiss (I believe his name is), who's written some picture books that are pretty good. Two of them are holiday titles that I've covered at 7-Imp before.

And, yeah, that "child's play" is offensive; I'm not surprised, though. Sigh.

Jules, 7-Imp

Anonymous said...

Just wait until they compare the advance on a picture book to their pay as TV writers. I have a feeling they'll quickly find other ways to spend their strike time.

MotherReader said...

I thought down the BACA trail too. And while it's not really BACA material, one thing that it shares with BACA offenses is the attitude of "Well, I might as well write a children's book because that's easy."