January 04, 2008

Poetry Friday: First Poetry of the Year

The Sixth of January

The cat sits on the back of the sofa looking
out the window through the softly falling snow
at the last bit of gray light.
I can't say the sun is going down.
We haven't seen the sun for two months.
Who cares?
I am sitting in the blue chair listening to this stillness.
The only sound: the occasional gurgle of tea
coming out of the pot and into the cup.
How can this be?
Such calm, such peace, such solitude
in this world of woe.

by David Budbill, from Moment to Moment: Poems of a Mountain Recluse (Copper Canyon Press)

This poem breathes out with the soul of the season. It's darkdarkdark here today, but with tea and solitude, who cares? I can see snow on the hills above the city.

Find out what else is shaking this first Poetry Friday of 2008 at A Year of Reading. Happy Winter.

12 comments:

Mary Lee said...

Ahh...the comforts of hot tea and a cat in the cold dark of winter!

Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful poem! I too live in "dark country" this time of year. But this reminds me that certain delicious moments are possible.

Karen Edmisten said...

I *love* this! And that photo is gorgeous.

Ruth said...

This is beautiful. Thank you.

Thanks, too, for your comment on my blog.

Hope you're drinking Kenya tea. It's the best, you know. :-)

jama said...

Stunning photo and a beautiful moment described in the poem. Time for tea!

Anonymous said...

So lovely in this world of woe. Have another cup...

Sara said...

"Who cares?" I love that the poet had the audacity to throw that in there.

And how funny that the cat gets the whole sofa while the poet gets the chair. Isn't that the way of the world? :)

Anonymous said...

Tea and a cat on a grey day are perfection. And an afghan. Tea and a cat and a cozy afghan/blanket/lap robe on a grey day are perfection. And a book. Tea and a cat and a cozy afghan and a book on a grey day are perfection.

I will have to see if I can track the book down to read more of what's in there. I may need that book.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

I want to be in this poem.

Vivian Mahoney said...

If I had a view like that photo outside my window, I'd be in heaven.

Lovely, peaceful poem.

Elaine Magliaro said...

I love the photograph and the poem. There is something about watching falling snow that seems to quiet the soul. My husband and I returned on Thursday after spending several days in the mountains of New Hampshire with friends. One day, while we were up north, the snow fell heavily and the wind blew. I felt cozy and warm and peaceful as I sat cocooned inside and looked out at the storm.

Happy Winter!

Jules at 7-Imp said...

TadMack, that is a perfect read for this cold, January morning (I'm slow in getting to Poetry Friday). I've never heard of him before. Me likey. I agree with Sara about throwing in that bold "who cares?" Love it. It made me do a double-take, the good kind.

Jules, 7-Imp