January 01, 2008

Pssst. Anybody awake yet?

"I pretended to be somebody I wanted to be and I finally became that person. Or he became me. Or we met at some point.”

Already we have a Best Quote of the New Year (although I must admit that it's only one - more great ones at Kelly's). Those immortal words come from the incredible Archie Leach... oh, wait, never heard of him? Sorry, sorry, let me tell you his "real" name: Cary Grant.

Making resolutions about changing who we are always brings to mind actors to me -- people who imagined a character and then assimilated those values and traits successfully enough to draw success to themselves in turn. Archie Leach was a latchkey kid who had seriously problematic parents, but he truly hustled and turned himself into the icon he's remembered as today.

Something to think about.

Meanwhile, there's a new secret agent in the house! Congratulations to Secret Agent Jen, aka "literaticat", the newest agent at Andrea Brown! Just... don't send her any religious or talking animal stories, and you can stay her friend.

Oh, sorry. Are you still groggy? Fine then -- go back to sleep.

6 comments:

Erin said...

Wow, thank you for that link. Cary Grant is one of my two favorite actors.

Saints and Spinners said...

Are religious talking animal stories okay for Secret Agent Jen? ;) I've got a series in mind:

1) Bruno the Unicorn in the Garden of Eden
2) Bruno the Unicorn and the Great Big Flood
3) Bruno the Unicorn and the Battle Of Jericho
4) Bruno the Unicorn and Ezekiel Meet the Flying Saucers

Little Willow said...

GO Archie Leach!

tanita✿davis said...

Heh. And THIS, Alkelda the Gleefully Insane, if why we love you...

Saints and Spinners said...

It just occured to me that perhaps I have some material for my next "Children's Books That Never Were" installation.

tanita✿davis said...

I could see that, A. -- You could also write a children's story of The Invisible Publicist, too...