August 07, 2006

The Dragon Chronicles: Dragon's Milk

Susan Fletcher is well known for her stories of long ago and far away. Her Dragon Chronicles series I read all in a weekend, so I can review them in order of appearance. You can only read the first two out of order, but each book stands well enough that if you only read one, you would find yourself in possession of enough facts for it to still be enjoyable.

Kaeldra has always been treated differently. For one thing, she lives with a foster family and in their little village, it's obvious she's not of their country. She is tall and willowy and blonde in a whole village of short and dark and sturdy. Their eyes are dark or blue. Her eyes are a startling green. Green eyes, it is said, come from being dragon-touched. They say that when Kaeldra's ancestor was alive, she was who had given this dragon's touch to Kaeldra. When trouble comes, it's Kaeldra's foster sister, Lyf, who is in trouble. Only Dragon's Milk will cure little Lyf of the vermilion fever which has her in its grip. But if Kaeldra can find dragons and brave their tricky schemes for their milk, then certainly she can find dragons for warriors in training to kill, right? Even if she doesn't want to...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember reading the original series as a kid and loving it. I had them all lined up on my bookshelf.

Anonymous said...

I was encouraged to read nonfiction when I was a kid, so I have TONS of great series to catch up on now!