October 20, 2008

Succumbing to Peer Pressure

Thanks to the challenge issued by the Disco Mermaids, I'm forced to post this fuzzy-lensed, chin-posed-pertly-on-fist monstrosity. I'm not sure what the deal is with my bangs, either. Actually, I do--I believe I was doing that halfway-up, halfway-down thing that was so popular at the time. Sigh.


I'm also embarrassed to report that, at my 10-year high school reunion (about 5 years ago now), I was one of the people voted "least changed since high school." I realize that's probably supposed to be a compliment, but...oh, for crying out loud. I was drinking a beer. I sure didn't do that in high school, come on now. (No, really--I didn't.) And my hair is so much shorter. Please.


I also had a second version of the portrait with a standing pose, but I couldn't find a copy. So this is all you get.




One more famous children's book author for you--this one makes a bit more sense, though. I heard on NPR's All Things Considered a while ago that Berkeley Breathed, who penned the comic strips Bloom County, Outland, and Opus, is leaving the cartooning world for a time and entering the children's book world with a picture book about a pig and an elephant--Pete and Pickles. No sappy tale is this, however, says Breathed:


"I can't resist the great moment of truth. It's what draws me to a story. ... Most children's stories ... are afraid to bring a moment of danger and threat and potential death to a story, which I think is absolutely critical in carrying a child in through the arc that is required for him or her — as long as you show them the other end of that tunnel and the decisions made to get out of it."

I have to admit to being very interested in Pete and Pickles--I was a HUGE fan of Bloom County when I was growing up, and became quite accomplished at doodling Bill the Cat and Opus the Penguin in the margins of my high school class notes.




One more NPR tidbit: looking to expand your reading tastes? NPR's Day to Day suggests this list of The Best Foreign Books You've Never Heard Of. According to the piece, "Only about 3 percent of all books published in the United States are works that have been translated." David Kipen, director of Literature and National Reading Initiatives at the National Endowment for the Arts, put together the list to challenge readers to broaden their horizons.

5 comments:

Sara said...

All right, after your description, I was expecting something horrific, not this graceful composed girl! Sure the chin on fist is a wee bit pose-y, but you actually look like you could be having a deep thought, so I forgive you. :)

Brava!

Chris Cope said...

Yes but do you have the obligatory pose of you posing with an instrument or sporting equipment?

tanita✿davis said...

Well, your hair's long and dark, and your face has filled out a teensy bit, but other than that, you really -- sorry! -- don't look much different. I'm sure your personality is miles different, however!

Kelly said...

So cute, Sarah. And, I'm with Tadmack: You look almost exactly the same.

Sarah Stevenson said...

Welcome, Gottawrite Girl!

Sorry, Chris--no instrument or sporting equipment, though the standing pose had me next to what may have been the world's largest vase....