December 24, 2008

A Very Merry Un-Holiday to You

It really is sort of an un-holiday, when I think about it. I spent the last few days frantically trying to get the house clean, vacuuming up every stray cat hair and dust mote (my mother is very allergy-prone), tidying up the stray socks that my husband leaves on the living-room floor after throwing them at the naughty little cat when she scratches on the chair, doing the last of the shopping, and stocking up on groceries until the fridge threatens to overflow every time I open the door. (What do you call an avalanche of Fuji apples? An apple-lanche?)

Anyway, for me--as any fellow Shrinking Violets will know--just having houseguests, family or otherwise, is not particularly restful, except for the occasional very rare individuals. But thoughts of family and friends do remind me how very lucky I am, and I really wanted to just post a brief note to let all of my friends and colleagues, extended family and outlying acquaintances, out here in the Kidlitosphere, know that I appreciate you all very much.

I may not always comment on blogs (yeah, yeah, I know, I know), or even have time to stay current with all my blog reading (ARGH--now there's a Festivus grievance for the ages), but I'm really glad to feel like part of the community. Over the past year, I've marveled repeatedly at how much closer together the Kidlitosphere has brought like-minded writers and readers. As a not-yet-published writer (see, I'm trying to be optimistic--not an easy thing for a dyed-in-the-wool pessimist), it's heartening, educational, and comforting to feel that connection. As an introvert who sometimes feels too introverted even to blog, maintaining that connection is extra important, and often it keeps me moving forward when nothing else does.

So, thank you, and a very merry Festivus, Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Eid (a little late), Diwali, etc. to you.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

A very happy Christmas and merry Chanukah to the both of you.

Saints and Spinners said...

A.Fortis, I am glad for both you and TadMack.

Little Willow said...

Happy holidays! :)

Charlotte said...

I here you on the introvert thing! Everyone in my family is an introvert, and we are approaching our 7th Family Meal together tonight...it is our last, before we leave, and I hope that our fraying nerves can take it.

I hope your family time is going well!

Anonymous said...

A. Fortis and TadMack,

In my next life I want to live in Berkley and hang out with all my West Coast friends! Until then, the blogosphere is pretty close.

A very happy new year to y'all!

tanita✿davis said...

Incidentally, how'd you make that print? I'm art clueless, here.

Sarah Stevenson said...

AH! Not a print, just a graphic. I got the image of the winter woman from my favorite clip art page and then added color and text. :)