April 24, 2008

Toon Thursday: Rejection Recap

That's right--I am officially MAKING YOU WAIT for the final installment of the Stages of Rejection. In case you've missed the first six, or just want to review them before the denouement next week, here is a handy set of links for your reading convenience:
Stage 1 ~ Stage 2 ~ Stage 3 ~ Stage 4 ~ Stage 5 ~ Stage 6

Next Thursday, don't forget to toon--er, tune--er, stop by for the final cartoon in the series. Thanks to all of you (especially TadMack) for indulging my long and drawn-out ode to writerly rejection.

And now, a few links: via the SCBWI Expression newsletter comes news that audiobook retailer Audible.com is launching a site specifically geared towards audiobooks for kids. I saw Diary of a Wimpy Kid on there and couldn't help wondering how one would translate something with so many visual elements into the audio medium... Also via the Expression, news on a few more international children's book awards--from Ireland (yay for Black Book of Secrets!) and Germany (yay for 2006 Cybils nominee Brian Fies!).

In her post below, TadMack mentioned Cory Doctorow's new book Little Brother, yet another title on my can't-wait-to-read list (especially since Neil Gaiman said "I'd recommend Little Brother over pretty much any book I've read this year."). If you're going to be in the Berkeley area on Wednesday, May 21, don't miss the opportunity to see Doctorow read from his book at the new Cody's Books location.

Perhaps I will drag my lazy butt over there...it's only an hour and fifteen minutes, after all...it'll be strange, though. As their website says, they're now located on the site of the former Eddie Bauer store. But way back when I was a student there, it wasn't Eddie Bauer yet, but an old diner called Edy's that served greasy-spoon classics and ice cream parfaits. It had been there since my mom was a Berkeley student in the early '70s. So I feel a lot better that Cody's--another venerable Berkeley institution--will be taking up that spot, rather than a branch of a faceless corporate empire.

3 comments:

tanita✿davis said...

I wish I *could* go to the Little Brother reading. I will enjoy the book when I finally get around to getting it... maybe I'll treat myself when I finally finish this @!$#*% revision...

Jennifer R. Hubbard said...

Looking forward to Stage 7. I hope when you post it, you include an easy link to all 7, so I can link to the whole series!

Sarah Stevenson said...

Hmm, maybe I should give these seven cartoons their own label for easy reference...Thanks for the suggestion!!