April 01, 2008

Happy April Ferrets'--I mean, Fools' Day.

I really wish I could guarantee you that I will never again mention ferrets on this blog. Unfortunately, I don't think I can adhere to that. For instance, today, while looking up something completely unrelated, I found this great article in favor of legalizing ferrets in California--because we're the last holdout state besides Hawaii where ferrets are still illegal to keep as pets. This always amazed me. And, as a child, it sorely disappointed me. Like many other kids my age, I saw the movie The Beastmaster and immediately started begging my parents for furry ferret pets. Of course, walking into the pet store you'd never know they were actually illegal, since you can buy all manner of ferret books, food, and elaborate tunnel complexes. Sadly, my ferret window has closed, anyway--I'm pretty sure our cats would want to chomp them.

Anyway, back to the actual topic of YA writing: Children's Writer's and Illustrator's Market blogger Alice Pope has co-written a how-to book--Writing and Selling the YA Novel--with K.L. Going, author of Fat Kid Rules the World and other books. The book will be available next week, according to Alice's newsletter--the Amazon link says otherwise, but check Writer's Digest Books--it might be available there.

2 comments:

MotherReader said...

My daughter also wants a ferret. She asks me every time we go in the pet store, and every time I say No. Didn't know they were illegal in CA. What's up with that?

tanita✿davis said...

Aaaargh! The Beastmaster! Aaargh, my eyes, MY EYES!!!!