May 15, 2007

Virtual Spaces for Teens, and Other Random Notes

I always run across such interesting information on the YALSA blog. There's a podcast I really want to listen to (but haven't been able to yet--the to-do list grows ever longer, I'm afraid) about Teen Second Life, the teens-only version of the online virtual world Second Life. The podcast covers what teens are doing in Second Life as well as what projects librarians are doing in Teen Second Life. It sounds like a unique educational opportunity. I know that there are teachers out there using Teen Second Life as a sort of virtual exchange program so that their students can interact with students elsewhere in the world. I think it's an incredible idea. (And NO adults except those specially sanctioned to do so may have access to Teen Second Life--this is a good thing...)


Also from the YALSA blog, I found out that "After Labor Day, twelve presidential candidates will be physically present at a college campus and accessible online through MySpace in interactive town halls reports USA Today. The discussion will be web casted so that MySpace members can submit their questions as well." I personally have an irrationally strong hatred of MySpace (and it was only with reluctance that I recently joined Facebook), but I think this is an excellent opportunity for teens to make their voices heard with political candidates. As a onetime member of the Junior Statesmen, I think it's crucial to get teens politically involved. Whoever thought of this one was definitely using their noodle...


Jen Robinson is participating in something really cool called the Dystopian Book Challenge, started by Lisa at Books. Lists. Life. Sounds great--and now I have another blog to visit! Uh-oh.


2 comments:

tanita✿davis said...

You, a Junior Statesmen.
I learn something new each and every day, I tell ya.

Mac was a Business Leader of America. Heh.

I would've been a Future Farmer, but the Young Republicans looked like the got to wear better blazers...

Anonymous said...

I know that "oh no, not another blog to visit" feeling alright. But I am enjoying the whole dystopian challenge thing. I find them endlessly fascinating...