May 15, 2007

Obscurely Random...

My goodness, Sara's Holds Shelf tagged me with the What Are You Reading meme something like years ago, and I kept thinking, "geez, I'm reading, I'm reading!" and I never wrote anything down!!! So now, for your edification, I am reading Bass Ackwards and Belly Up, and, hour-by-hour making the decision to read another chapter or set it down for good. Shades of The Sisterhood of Mobile Trousers, anyone? I'm torn between pure hatred or just "meh."

I am also reading Finding Grace, which was a random pick-up that I selected because I liked the cover. (Oh, you cover people -- know your awesome power! And use it for good, for once, eh?), and finding it most excellent, and finishing Gentleman Peck's On Wings of Heroes, which has already been sublimely discussed by Fuse.

I don't dare 'tag' anyone else for this but A.F.; I'm pretty sure everyone has ALREADY ANSWERED THE QUESTION. Sara, dear: know me for the blogging slacker that I am.

OH. MY. GOODNESS. I'm going to Australia and I'm going to kick some butt. Via Bookshelves O' Doom we discover that the newest Frances Hardinge book is available IN AUSTRALIA ONLY. Um, hello!? Don't make me come down under, people.

6 comments:

Sarah Stevenson said...

Oh, oh, oh...guess who has a half-sister in Australia?? But am I really that much of a fangirl? And would my newfound sister think I'm completely nuts?

Anonymous said...

Bass Ackwards was one of those books I couldn't review - I ended up throwing it across the room. Too many cliches - of course one girl has a crush on a teacher, of course one goes to LA and meets the big star who loves her, of course one gets to college and verbally abused by the coach she idolized from afar and on and on.

It had a fun premise but was a disappointment for me.

Colleen

Sara said...

Okay, Australia is now my #1 dream travel destination.

Problem is, I'd have to take an extra suitcase for all the books I'd want to bring back.

And did you know that Marcus Sedgewick has TWO books out in the UK that haven't been released here?!

David T. Macknet said...

Problem with Australia as a travel destination: everything is poisonous there! Try New Zealand instead, and bounce over to the bookstore in Australia only if they don't have it in NZ.

tanita✿davis said...

Colleen: My favorite Dorothy Parker quote applies to Bass Ackwards: "This is not a novel to be tossed aside lightly. It should be thrown with great force." I tried to hang in there because of the character who was a writer, but I was ready to snatch her bald 3/4 of the way through. Erg.

Little Willow said...

Go Dorothy Parker!

I like Finding Grace a lot. I've never seen that cover before.