March 13, 2014

A Toon Thursday/First Draft Blast from the Past

Yes...it's that time of year again...the time where I am so snowed under (metaphorically, since I live in California) that I have to revisit an old favorite post instead of writing something original. But, since I'm sort of in the process of first-drafting, I thought I'd go back to one of my favorite Handy Pie Charts. So here you go:


It's interesting to look back on the original post, because I referenced a problem manuscript I'd been working on during NaNoWriMo, and I'm almost positive that problem child was Underneath--which is now, like, an actual book and everything. It just goes to show you: don't abandon that first draft without giving it a fair shake--even if you feel like this when you're working on it:

[P]age 70 is where the misery strikes. All the initial excitement has drained away; you've begun to see all the hideous problems you've set yourself; you are horribly aware of the minute size of your own talent compared to the colossal proportions of the task you've undertaken. - Philip Pullman

1 comment:

Jennifer R. Hubbard said...

I am reading a pie chart on Pi Day!

#geekcitement