September 26, 2007

Upcoming Events Update

As opening day for the 2007 Cybils nominating process draws near (October 1), more and more info is gradually being revealed about the fantastic crop of panelists, organizers, and henchwomen involved in making the awards run smoothly. You can find out about all the category organizers on the profiles page (including way too much info about me--evidently I was a blabbermouth when I wrote that). The nominations and judging panelists have also been announced, and you can find my wonderful crew of people right here. I've visited everyone's blogs (some on a regular basis!) and I'm so excited to be working with them and I'm so not worthy. But I'm looking forward to the process. TadMack and I are also on the nominating panel for Science Fiction and Fantasy, so we're both eagerly anticipating some good reads over the next couple of months!



Here's another upcoming fall event: National Novel Writing Month, aka NaNoWriMo, kicks off on November 1, and the site officially relaunches on October 1. I'm a little undecided about participating this year, since I'll be on vacation for just over a week of November, but NaNoWriMo worked out so well for me last year...my current YA novel, whose proposal is in the hands of two agencies right now, is a result of last year's National Novel Writing Month. So who knows. Maybe if I come up with my plan beforehand and am totally ready to just write starting November 1...



Okay, one more event. San Francisco's annual literary festival, Litquake, is taking place October 6 - 13. Having helped out as a volunteer a couple of years ago, I can tell you that it's a very exciting event full of great readings and literary luminaries. There are a few offerings of YA-interest, too. On Sunday of the opening weekend is Find Your Inner Teen: Authors Teens Love and So Will You, featuring Malin Alegria, Wendy Lichtman, Michael Cadnum, Melodie Bowsher, Derek Kirk Kim, and Gene Luen Yang. On Tuesday, the Youth Speaks All-Stars includes a number of teen poetry slam champions. Also, if poetry slams aren't your thing, Not Your Mother’s Book Club presents Scott Westerfeld and Justine Larbalestier at Books Inc. Wednesday is Kidquake, with a number of children's authors and illustrators in two separate groups for grades K - 2 and 3 - 5. That same evening, Jane Smiley has a conversation with Daniel Handler, aka Lemony Snicket. There's a lot to interest kidlit folks, so if you're in the area, check it out. The NYMBC presentation is awfully tempting...

No comments: