July 29, 2008

Would You Judge A Book By Its Cover?

(Drum roll, please.)

I've waited a long time to share it with you, and here it is: the cover concept of my next novel which will be published in 2009! Drawn by the incredibly talented Jody Hewgill, this novel is being worked over by meticulous copy editors, all so that it can be presented to discerning readers next June.

(Please note: this is a cover CONCEPT. This is not the final cover, and please remember that it is shared courtesy of Knopf Books for Young Readers, an imprint of Random House, USA, and it's their property, under their copyright. Thanks!)

One reluctant grandmother, two grumpy siblings, and a road trip together create an amazing story you might have never heard before: the story of MARE'S WAR.

Support Independent Bookstores!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah!! WOO!!!

I really like it, draft or not. Maybe the girls at the bottom could be a little smaller, but I like the sort of coin effect created by Mare's profile. REALLY cool.

Anonymous said...

I like the whole concept - especially the profile. The best part is that you have an idea what the book is about from the cover. My only thought would be is it obvious enough that it is multi generational or does that matter for a cover image?

Anonymous said...

I like the cover concept!

Anonymous said...

Love it, T! I can't wait to read the book.

Anonymous said...

It's gorgeous!!

Anonymous said...

Cannot wait to read it!

Anonymous said...

First: Ditto to Colleen's question.

Second: I LOVE IT. And I'm going to go explore the artist's site.

That truly looks like a cover that would make me want to pick up the book and read it.

Anonymous said...

Colleen & Jules ~ I'm not sure it matters. Is that the type of thing that matters to buyers? I mean, it's multi-generational, but the narrator is fifteen or seventeen, respectively, and the grandmother is, while a wild character, somewhat, if I can say this without explaining too much, in the background. Kind of.

Anonymous said...

I like it! Kudos to the artist - I like the twenties style here. I hope it accurately reflects your characters and that, however the final version turns out, it's to your liking! :)