February 06, 2008

Up from the Depths

Boy, nothing like someone giving me a project to do when I'm in the middle of another one. Can you say "project jumping?" I emerge, manic, from poetry wrangling all last night. I dreamed in iambic pentameter. It was not pretty. If you're looking for pretty, via Chicken Spaghetti we find a fabulous interview at Bookslut with poet Natasha Trethewey, whose gifted poetry straddles worlds. Colleen's Booksluts in Training are at the School of Hard Knocks, and this month include a review of Ellen Emmerson White's Long May She Reign, which is steadily making its way to the top of my TBR List!

I'm a bit late to Bottom Shelf Books' review of Tuesday -- but trust me, that book is quite surreal enough for the political landscape of Super Tuesday!! I remember just giggling the first time I read it -- ah, the night of flying frogs -- and thinking that the creators were on that wonderful, mind-tripping substance called creativity. It's a REALLY weird, beautiful book full of possibilities that can fit in a weird, beautiful world full of the same.

Via SF Signal, a Jonathan Stroud (of The Bartimeus trilogy fame) interview at a French SF website. (No worries: it's in ENGLISH.)

Today's 28 Days Later is a favorite in the blogosphere, Janice Harrington, who wrote The Chicken-Chasing Queen of Lamar County, much loved and discussed by Jules @ Seven Impossible Things Before Breakfast.

Via Galleycat, it's L Magazine's 4th Annual Literary Upstarts Competition. New Yorkers, start your engines.


Still Helping a (big) Sister Out: Thanks for all the suggestions for MG books for the Ramona-loving little sister. Someone suggested graphic novels, and that really sparked some ideas. Now I'm looking for MG books with differently-abled protagonists. Anyone? Thanks in advance.

3 comments:

Charlotte said...

Canadian writer Jean Little has serveral good mg books (oldish but well worth reading) about differently abled kids. My favorites are From Anna, and Listen to the Singing, about a girl who is almost blind. Mine for Keeps is about a girl with cerebral palsy.

Jules at 7-Imp said...

Oh my, I'm so behind on blog-reading this week, and look what I missed. What a great interview with Janice (and Sean Qualls -- and everyone else)!

Jules, 7-Imp

Jules at 7-Imp said...

I meant to say: Thanks for linking to it.

jules