February 24, 2008

A Little Work, A Little Amusement

Some time ago I got an announcement about the SCBWI North Central California Spring Spirit Conference, to be held in Davis, CA, on April 5. The lovely, funny, and talented Kirby Larson will be a keynote speaker, as well as editors from Chronicle Books, Delacorte Press, and Random House Children's Books. I've gone to a couple of these one-day deals, and they're especially great if you're just starting out in the field or if you're looking for professional feedback on your first chapters (and choose to get the optional manuscript critique). It's also a nice way to talk to authors, illustrators, and editors one-on-one, as it's not NEARLY as ginormous as the big SCBWI conferences. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to this one--I'm saving up for a Seattle trip this summer--but I thought I'd spread the word.

On a less serious note comes a news brief from Reuters entitled "Are Women Human? And other publishing highlights". Yes, in the midst of children's book awards season, UK-based trade publication The Bookseller has a shortlist of its own--six finalists for the prize of oddest book title. I haven't voted in the poll yet--I'm torn between "I was Tortured by the Pygmy Love Queen" and "Cheese Problems Solved." In certain ways this is much scarier than Children's Books that Never Were--it's Adult Books that Should Never Have Been, maybe...

4 comments:

Jennifer R. Hubbard said...

I would personally like to see "I was Tortured by the Pygmy Love Queen" and "Cheese Problems Solved" together in one indispensable volume. It's almost as good as the ferrets.

Sarah Stevenson said...

One indispensable volume is right!! What couldn't you do with both those books, I ask you? It sounds like a recipe for success to me... :)

Anonymous said...

Question: Are you located in the North Central CA SCBWI area? I saw this conference announced and thought I might get there, but alas, no. My home is in El Dorado County and it looks like we won't be back until mid-summer, but I'm very interested in participating in the SCBWI group when I return. Currently I'm a a member of the Hawaii branch and - as you might imagine - it's a bit disjointed because it covers all of the islands.

Sarah Stevenson said...

Hi Kris! Yes, I am. I'm in Stanislaus County. I can't remember if the North Central CA chapter has a fall event, but I know they do the spring conference every year. Maybe we'll run into each other at one!