October 05, 2007

Poetry Friday: Fleeting


(Click poem for larger size)

It is indeed the time of year when "yellow leaves or few or none" are hanging, but also hanging within the yellow leaves are brilliant red one, fat summer roses and rosehips, and the last summer berries in the brambles in the country. The air has a crystalline clarity, the clouds waft through a sky of flawless blue, and in the city, people are in the parks, shrugging out of their cardigans and soaking up the sun. Glasgow reminds me very much of San Francisco at present, where people take their sun as they can find it. We love it all the more, knowing that we will not have it for long.

Poetry Friday is hosted at WhimsyBooks, where you'll probably scoop up more seasonal poetry goodness. Here's hoping those sweltering on the East Coast get a breath of autumn sometime soon! Meantime, have a great weekend -- and soak up the sun.

5 comments:

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Lovely sonnet, and perfectly matched to the season and the picture.

Sara said...

Oh, TadMack, this is one of my favorites. Thanks for the gift of hearing it again.

You know, every time I read your posts now, I think: she writes so beautifully...I can't wait to read a whole book by her...soon, right???

jama said...

Of what he speaks is fleeting, yet what he has said will last forever. Thanks for bringing Shakespeare to my day.

tanita✿davis said...

Sara - theoretically, June '08. Probably sooner than that -- crossed fingers. I shall send you a copy as soon as I can!! You are so kind...

Karen Edmisten said...

My favorite sonnet ... thanks. It calls for a cup of coffee.

And best of luck on the upcoming book! *That* will call for chocolate.