August 31, 2005

Odds 'n' Ends

As well as being astringent pundits of popular culture, my girlz at Mean & Catty are also on the look-out for the odd fifteen seconds of fame in the YA business... - and yes, Laurie Halse Anderson's Speak as immortalized on the Estrogen Channel, aka Lifetime is a definitely an odd sort of fame. If Anderson is lucky, it'll be painless enough that the endless reruns won't leave her suicidal... If she's very lucky indeed, it'll be a really wonderful portrayal of her work. Of course, for those of us still reeling from the Rings movies (or am I the only nerd still bemoaning plot additions and distortions?) maybe not so hopeful, eh?

Today's been a busy day at the post office... A. Fortis has inspired, so I have launched forth book proposals and an entire manuscript to some lucky people to peruse. 51 Days and A La Carte are winging their way toward Mei Mei's state. Crossed fingers that all editors are in a receptive mood during the fall reading period!!

Meanwhile, D's lay-off took effect today, so for awhile I'm going to have lots of company around the office. Does that mean more writing gets done, or less? Does anyone else share work space? How do you do it?

If we save all of our pennies now, can we go here in February?

sigh

Back to work. For some reason, my failure with Glimmer Train prods me to try my luck with short stories...Again.

Optimism!

3 comments:

tanita✿davis said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
tanita✿davis said...

The Ten Second Movie Review:

Laurie Halse Anderson's Speak Movie:

The teachers! Who did they hire to do casting for the teachers in Lifetime's version of Speak?! They were a strange lot... there seemed to be not one sane adult in the entire cast. And, not to complain more about characterizations, but Melinda seemed to be less emotionally disturbed and more whimsically adolescent than a girl who has been raped -- unlike the character in the book -- I'm not sure the part was played with the real drama, pain and depth it deserved. She was utterly silent, I thought!? This girl... was just... moody and vague? At the same time I guess it was supposed to be lite fare... at least until the earnest PSA at the end, anyway...

I'm feeling like it was better than I thought it would be, but I wouldn't be happy with it were I the author. Still -- a decent movie, if you haven't read the book, I guess.

Sarah Stevenson said...

I'll be watching it on Tuesday, if all goes as planned, so I'll be sure to add my two cents! Bravo, T, for braving the postal system, and best to you and D with the home office...