March 01, 2005

Mean girls... really REALLY mean girls

Man. It's those girls again. SF Chronicle's C.W. Nevius writes about 'em here.

So, the Queen Bees and Wanna-bes thing was just the beginning, spawning, as it did, yet another movie (which I haven't seen, and since the book was non-fiction, I won't skip off into another rant, I promise), and a whole spate of talk-show visits on the topic of mean ...girls. And part of me is just bewildered. I'm like, What, did someone actually believe the whole sugar and spice schtick?! and the other part of me is a bit relieved... maybe if people keep talking about this suddenly exciting phenom of adolescent girls being snarky, some kid might be saved feeling like their whole life is going to end because Karin and Stephanie have made sure no one talks to them this week.

On the other hand, maybe not.

This is a valuable read to me, because it helps freshen the sting of junior high, and makes my emotional connection in writing for younger readers more realistic. I aspire to BE a mean girl, at least in print... because for the life of me, I never did figure out what made Karin tick...

No comments: