June 07, 2009

Early June Reading Roundup

Every once in a while, I feel like I need to mix it up as far as reviews are concerned, make it a little more fun than just a standard review. Most of the time I don't act on that impulse. But lately, there's been a lot of seriousness in the lit/book blogging world, so, in order to counteract my resulting feelings of blahness, I've decided to do today's roundup in the form of a song. That's right. If you were expecting lengthy formal reviews, sorry, but that's not gonna happen today. Instead, please enjoy the following ditty, sung to the tune of "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" by The Beatles (midi version here for your listening pleasure).

Randomly arriving here from Westside Books

The touching tale of Andrea McKane

Her mother's schizophrenia earns her wary looks

But running makes her strong in body and brain.



For a break, then I read, Something Rotten--

Horatio Wilkes the mystery-solving pal.


Environmental hi-jinks won't stop him--

Even when he doesn't get the gal.



Ryan fell off track after his sister died

Now he's ditching class and getting stoned

Chances for redemption help him clarify

His feelings—now he's not so much alone.



Vidya's family in World War II India--

Forever changed when struck by tragedy.


Now her big dreams of college are threatened--

Till she finds some sympathetic company.



Haddix is a grand dame of MG suspense--

Here's a story where conspiracies abound.

Jonah and Chip's adoptions make them both quite tense

As shifty FBI dudes want them Found.



Rico Fuentes is so sick of Harlem--

The crime and drugs there really get him down.


So he flees for a farm in Wisconsin

And finds himself through life in a small town.



Dierdre knows she should never trust faeries--

Hot musician guys like Luke all tell her so.


But he loves her, and then things get scary--

Can they fight off terrifying faerie foes?



There you go--books I read in the past month.
This was fun for me, hope it was fun for you.

It might happen again in another month,
I reserve the right to do what I wanna do.

So there. Hope you enjoyed it. I'm hoping to find time to post more detailed comments on my Goodreads, but we'll see about that. I've been lagging behind, so this was my attempt to get moving ahead again.

4 comments:

tanita✿davis said...

La-la-la-la, life goes on.

This is actually more work than a regular review! Cracks me right up. Especially can't wait to read Deadville, Climbing the Stairs, and Found.

Carol H Rasco said...

This is great; and yes, I agree with Tanita, it is a lot of work. I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Belle said...

This is great! I could never do this ... and now I can't stop the tune in my head.

Sarah Stevenson said...

Hee! Thanks, all. It was a lot of work, but it was a fun way to get caught up. :D