June 03, 2008

No, I "aten't dead"

... just laying low for a bit. Still, wanted to pop in and say HUZZAH about Guys Lit Wire, and note its total coolness quotient. I hope GLW gets TONS of traffic from real live guys -- some interesting stuff up there already.

Also, I want to make sure everyone drives by the Tollbooth this week. Yesterday, one of the bloggers began talking with those who were involved in the new anthology Through the Wardrobe which is a wonderful Narnia themed anthology, and the ever fabulous ELIZABETH WEIN is stopping by there today to be interviewed and talk about writing. People, the women can WRITE like wow and gee golly, so writers, take note! (More importantly, readers take note!) I just found out I've been to the church where she rings bells in Dunkeld, too. I feel almost special!

Apparently, Kindle isn't looking like the flash in the pan that many thought it was. According to the Guardian, Kindle is responsible already for 6% of ebooksales to Amazon's Kindle users. This makes me wonder if and when writers are going to be actually making money on electronic rights. So far, it's not a right that is on paper contract with most major publishing houses, and so it's a non-issue. My agent says that agents, like the publishing houses, tend to act as a group, and "no one is dealing with those rights yet," so the only one benefiting is, of course, Amazon. Whatever. I'm with Mr. B.

The futurist writer Ray Bradbury, author of the sci-fi classic Farenheit 451, told a convention lunch before BookExpo: "There is no future for ebooks because they are not books."


Just when you thought the world couldn't get any weirder: Gordon Brown gets to be in a comic book.

Hope all is well with you as June takes off and hurtles you toward the summertime!

2 comments:

Jules at 7-Imp said...

I'm layin' low this week, too, but had to stop by here. Just saying hi and hoping that moving is going well, if that's what you're doing.

How about that good-lookin' Guys Lit Wire site? Woo hoo, Sarah! I'm looking forward to posting about it next week when I get back.

Sarah Stevenson said...

Thanks, Jules!! :)