December 28, 2007

Poetry Friday: Thoughts for a New Year

Ah Poverties, Wincings, and Sulky Retreats
by Walt Whitman

Ah poverties, wincings, and sulky retreats,
Ah you foes that in conflict have overcome me,
(For what is my life or any man's life but a conflict with foes,
the old, the incessant war?)
You degredations, you tussle with passions and appetites,
You smarts from dissatisfied friendships, (ah wounds the
sharpest of all!)
You toil of painful and choked articulations, you meannesses,
You shallow tongue-talks at tables, (my tongue the shallowest of
any;)
You broken resolutions, you racking angers, you smother'd
ennuis!
Ah think not you finally triumph, my real self has yet to come
forth,
It shall yet march forth o'ermastering, till all lies beneath me,
It shall yet stand up the soldier of ultimate victory.

This one says it all. Here's to the real self in the new year.
Ms. Mac is hosting (bravely wrapped in blankets) at Check It Out.

2 comments:

Andromeda Jazmon said...

AMEN!! "my real self has yet to come
forth," AMEN. Here's to 2008 and another shot at it.

divatobe said...

Wow--how did he know what 2007 would be about?