November 22, 2007

Thanks Anyway


Wishing You a
H A P P Y
THANKSGIVING!

"As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them." ~John Fitzgerald Kennedy

I loved reading the Thanksgiving quote at Seven Impossible Things Before Breakfast, and it got me thinking about the indefinite things for which I am thankful. Success in the writing world is not by any means certain, but I'm thankful that I get to try. I'm even thankful for every person who asks me the Seven Deadlies for Writers:

So, what do you do all day while W does XY&Z?
So, how many books have you published?
What's your latest book about?
Where do you get your ideas?
Do you have a set time to write, like every day?
Did you know I started a novel, too?
Could you show my book to your agent?


...because every experience, even the annoying ones, are mine - and no one can take them. I am indeed grateful for my "vague indefinite riches;" and when I am pinched by prickly critiques, rejection letters and unknowingly insensitive responses from editors, I can say thanks anyway.

I love reading Liz in Ink's week long list of thankfulness. So much of what I'm grateful for is hard to articulate easily, and I love that Liz is just doing a little every day. That's a concept to live by right there: a little every day. The indefinite riches will seem a bit less vague that way...

Today I hope everyone indulges in the ways that fit them best. Whether in splendid isolation, or surrounded by friends or family; whether with a near-gluttonous feast or in acetic selectiveness of one favored food. I wish everyone relaxation and warmth and good books and the leisure to read them.

2 comments:

Jennifer R. Hubbard said...

Thanks for a beautiful message. Happy Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

This is a lovely post. And it's funny -- the little every day practice has ended up more satisfying than I would've imagined. I think, in a less grandiose way, I might keep it up...