August 24, 2006

And the Nominees Are...

Okay, everyone loves the Fonz, so I won't say anything too snarky: This morning on the Today show, Henry Winkler talked about his newest... kid book... My Dog's a Scardey-Cat (Grosset & Dunlap, $13.99), title #10 of his Hank Zipzer (the World's Best Underachiever) YA series.
Not a word about "jumping the shark," people. Not a word.

You all see how much I adore you? I actually watched the video and had to stare at the oddly deflated Al Roker on the MSNBC website for several minutes, just so I could tell you who the nominees are for the Quills this year in young people's literature. (Actually, I couldn't figure out where the Nominees were, thus scalding my eyeballs with the vision. That won't happen again soon, I can tell you.)

Without further ado, the Nominees in the Children's Chapter Book/Middle Grade Category are...
Carl Hiaasen's Flush
Cornelia Funke's Inkspell, which is currently sitting on my nightstand;
Kate DiCamillo's The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane,
Lemony Snicket's The Penultimate Peril (which is just such a cool title),
and Ptolemy's Gate, by Jonathan Stroud.

In the category of Young Adult/Teen, the Nominees Are...
The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak, which I think might win;
Dairy Queen by Catherine Gilbert Murdock, (also on my bedside table);
Christopher Paolini's Eldest, which didn't impress me as much as it did the rest of humanity, apparently,
Gabrille Zevin's Elsewhere,
and Bay Area local Frank Portman's King Dork, which I can't wait to read

Authors at a black tie event, gaining the long sought-after celebrity once selfishly guarded by mere movie stars. It's all about you, writers.
Right? Right!


a. fortis said...

So far I've only read Flush, and do look forward to reading the others, esp. King Dork - apparently Frank Portman is frontman of the Bay Area band Mr. T Experience, so I guess he's multitalented!

TadMack said...

I think he's living my life. If I can get over my karaoke fears and sing in public, I'd be golden: rocking the garage band AND the novel thing. Yeah, baby!

This is, of course, assuming I can actually sing. Jury's still out...