September 14, 2011

I don't normally do "Waiting On Wednesday..."

...but I think it's a great meme over at Breaking the Spine.

Inspired by two of the most beloved works by literary masters, All Men of Genius takes place in an alternate Steampunk Victorian London, where science makes the impossible possible.

Violet Adams wants to attend Illyria College, a widely renowned school for the most brilliant up-and-coming scientific minds, founded by the late Duke Illyria, the greatest scientist of the Victorian Age. The school is run by his son, Ernest, who has held to his father’s policy that the small, exclusive college remain male-only. Violet sees her opportunity when her father departs for America. She disguises herself as her twin brother, Ashton, and gains entry.

But keeping the secret of her sex won’t be easy, not with her friend Jack’s constant habit of pulling pranks, and especially not when the duke’s young ward, Cecily, starts to develop feelings for Violet’s alter ego, “Ashton.” Not to mention blackmail, mysterious killer automata, and the way Violet’s pulse quickens whenever the young duke, Ernest (who has a secret past of his own), speaks to her. She soon realizes that it’s not just keeping her secret until the end of the year faire she has to worry about: it’s surviving that long.
- Barnes & Noble


On the author's website, here are the prologue and the first two chapters... , if you dare.

And Tor.com has put up chapters 5&6.

I dared to read all of these excerpts and now I want to whine -- oh, mistake, mistake --!! Because. I. Want. This. Book. NOW.

*stands around and looks grumpy*


You can find ALL MEN OF GENIUS at an independent bookstore near you after September 27.

7 comments:

Sarah Stevenson said...

Ooh! Sounds fun.

LinWash said...

Brilliantly executed! I'm glad I saved some of my gift card money! Thanks for the tip!

Colleen said...

I have it (in ARC form). I still have to read it for the Nov column but when I am done I can send it your way (if you are still waiting)!

Leila said...

I LOVE THAT COVER.

I haven't even read the post yet; I just had to get that out first.

tanita✿davis said...

Yes, the sort of woodcut-y vibe against the gears is really great -- and I love the androgyny of the face - rounded cheeks and shorter hair -- is s/he or isn't s/he?

Charlotte said...

This does sound good!

(although I am always vexed by the thought of poor girls like me who wouldn't ever be able to do any of this sneeking into the world of boys dressed as one because even when my hair was short no one in their right mine would have been taken in...)

tanita✿davis said...

I dunno, Charlotte, we could do wonders with a pair of specs, some sideburns, and a natty hat (and a bust band). We'd just have to give you a cane and suspenders or something, and make sure you kept on your coat.