April 30, 2009

Help a Kidlitosphere Librarian

If you went to the Kidlitosphere Conference this past fall, perhaps you were fortunate, as I was, to meet the lovely Bridget Zinn--a YA librarian and writer recently diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer. She's in treatment, but it's very expensive--so the kidlitosphere is chipping in to help out. Jone--conference organizer extraordinaire, and blogger at Deo Writer--is organizing an online auction as well as an in-person silent auction to help defray the cost of treatments. The online auction goes live TOMORROW--read about the details here. I've donated a handmade blank book (photos at right), Cloudscome has donated a handmade baby quilt, and there will be numerous other wonderful items up for bidding. Stay tuned!



I was very excited about my library haul from this past week--you can see the results here. After a reading binge several days long, I've already made it through most of them, so expect some reviews to materialize throughout the next week. In the meantime, why not check out a couple of exciting new blog links? Teaching Authors, if you haven't heard, is a group blog with April Halprin Wayland, Esther Hershenhorn, Jeanne Marie Grunwell Ford, JoAnn Early Macken, Mary
Ann Rodman, and Carmela Martino--all published, working writers who also happen to be writing teachers. They'll be posting writing exercises called Writing Workouts, as well as addressing topics of interest to writers, readers, and teachers alike. Here's the official intro.

Another new star in the kidlit sky is the blog Booklights from PBS Parents--brought to you by blog buds Jen Robinson, Mother Reader, and Susan Kusel of Wizards Wireless, along with Gina Montefusco from PBS and various guest contributors. The goal of the blog is to help parents and others encourage a love of reading in kids. I can't think of better champions for the cause!

11 comments:

tanita✿davis said...

::sad face::
I am so very mournful and jealous of your library haul. I just... can't... figure out why there's just so few books for young adults in the libraries here -- but British kids leave behind "young adult" a lot sooner than American kids, as they graduate and take jobs sometimes as early as sixteen, so the rush to at least the appearance of adulthood seems a bit more intense. There's tons of picture books, Enid Blyton standards, the odd smattering of vampire/werewolf/zombie, and then we're straight into chick lit -- which is fine, but that leaves a bit out I think. Still -- trying out a new library this weekend, and crossing my fingers that there's actually something there other than drop-dead-gorgeous architecture...

Waaaa!

tanita✿davis said...

And P.S. - what a gorgeous book.

Kelly said...

Thanks so much for the link to Teaching Authors. I love it!

Anonymous said...

I am bidding on your book--it is lovely.

Also, ooo! Ooo! Did you read The Forest of Hands and Teeth? I really, really liked that one.

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

Great! I blogged about her too today :) I am so glad the word is getting out. :)

Jen Robinson said...

Thanks for the Booklights love, Sarah!! And your book in the auction looks beautiful.

Ethel Rohan said...

Thanks for getting the word out. I contacted Deo Writer directly. Great work.

Saints and Spinners said...

I'm so glad to see all of the lovely things donated to the auction for Bridget. The book is lovely, Sarah. Thank you for making it.

--Farida

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Sarah your book is so lovely! I am having a lot of fun watching this auction!

Sarah Stevenson said...

Thanks, everyone!! I appreciate the compliments, and I'm excited that it's gotten some bids, too. :) The auction has really been fun so far. Reminds me I have to go check on the item I bid on...

Beth Kephart said...

Thank you for Teaching Authors!!!

I know someone who has been searching for such a thing!