January 19, 2006

FURTHER Procrastination

You know, I was going to shoot an email today to Secret Agent Man, and tell him that I just can't, can't, simply can't, no way, fugheddabouddit, or whatever his Bronx ears need to hear that conveys to him that no, No, NO, I can't possibly 'edit' an entire story by taking out a major plot element, that I'm dying, that I've worried my husband by sobbing in the bathroom at five thirty on a SUNDAY morning, that it's ruining my health, my writing career, my alleged sanity, my life, blah, blah, blah, blah (or, yadda, yadda, which is apparently more acceptable on the East Coast)...

And then I checked my email, and got my monthly eZine from SmartWriter.com and read the most beautifully and unbearably optimistic editorial by editorial director Roxyanne Young. There's a lot more to it than this, you should go to the website and check it out, but here's a quote:

"We have a motto here at SmartWriters: Dream it. Do it. Write it now.

I have another writer friend who quotes Rita Mae Brown at the bottom of her email signature: "Don't hope more than you're willing to work." Candie's first novel is coming out in June. She calls herself at 25-year overnight success. She took a long, round-about trip to publication writing everything from résumés to business profiles to articles about construction for a Tennessee magazine, but she made it.

Believe in yourself. Don't give up. You can do this, and we're here to help. Set some realistic and achievable goals for yourself. Set up milestones to measure your progress.

Here's my new favorite quote:

"Imagination is stronger than knowledge. Myth is more potent than history. Dreams are more powerful than fact. Hope always triumphs over experience. Love is stronger than death. It's been said that each of us can influence up to 250 people in our lifetimes. How will you be influential? Be bold, and mighty unseen forces will come to your aid." - Robert Fulgham

Be bold."


In further news, Roxyanne has already started stumping for the next SmartWriter's W.I.N. contest:

"Are you ready to W.I.N.? The 2006 Write It Now! Competition is open for entries!

Discover how to increase your confidence and sense of accomplishment as a writer in the prestigious Write It Now! Competition. In just two years, over 40 of our W.I.N.NING writers and illustrators have had their work published or put under contract and this year you could be one of them. There’s $1,495.80 in cash and prizes up for grabs, two new categories and 5 special bonuses just for entering now, including access to great educational teleseminars. Because each entry is given careful consideration by two first round judges I’m limiting the number of entries I’ll accept, so don’t hesitate. Go to
W.I.N. at SmartWriters Pro right now and reserve your spot."

Well, that's it for now. Nailing my bold butt to a chair, and getting on with it.

No comments: